If you missed the show last week... ~10/11/13~


Salutations!  If you missed my art show last week, here's a little video I shot on a friend's phone such that you can get a glimpse at how the pieces were arranged and which ones were shown.  Throughout the video, I read one of the artist statements that I had displayed that night (see below).  It truly was a great time.  Many, many thanks to the amazing people at City Church for offering their gallery space as an opportunity for artists to show and thus get involved with one of the hottest First Friday art walks in the country!  

Hope all's well, and take care.  And here's a look at my artist statement from the show:


Works on Paper and Canvas

            My watercolor illustrations on paper combine realistic scenery with imaginative color and fictional stories.  I find that the best fiction offers not an escape from reality but an unrehearsed confrontation with it.  So, in hopes of drawing the viewer’s attention back to how brilliant life can actually be, my illustrations seek to blend the details of reality with the colors and surprise of imagination.  Hence, the images represent no escape into a pretend world.  Rather, I’m pointing to a real brilliance that already surrounds us, if only we’d look for it.

            My canvases arose from the experience of taking and teaching fine art classes.  They stand as an encouragement that students can, with time, become teachers.  More so, however, they stand as a reminder that the true teacher must always remain a student at heart.  The best teachers I’ve ever had are the ones that are open to learning from their students, the ones that see the good in their students’ work, even when no one else does.  Without such teachers in my life, I would never have become the artist I am today.

            My own journey as an artist started when I was very young.  Since I could first hold a pencil, I’ve enjoyed drawing people.  I have since expanded my repertoire to include a few background details, though the human being remains the most beautiful and captivating subject to me.  Before I went to art school, I couldn’t stand watercolor and using color in general intimidated me.  In college, however, I gradually discovered that watercolor was a perfect match for my drawing style, that it would bring my characters to life.  I also do other types of artwork, including digital illustration, fine art photography, music, and graphic design.